Rachel Pyron BIO –
- I work at Bodybuilding.com – headquarters are in Boise, Idaho. Co-manage Regulatory Compliance
- Grew up in a small, rural town; Arco, Idaho. Very little exposure to gyms/weightlifting etc.
- Competed in bodybuilding in 2009 and 2010 and fell into strongman shortly after.
Here’s the results of ASM/ASW 2018.
Notable Competition history:
- Strongman Corp nationals 2013, 2014, 2015
- Arnold 2014, 2015, 2016 – placing 4th at that contest and qualified as a pro
- ASW 2016, 2017, 2018 (current LW 1st)
- Strongest Woman in the World Norway 2018
- World’s Strongest Woman 2017
Some of the topics we discussed included:
What hobbies do you have outside of strongman?
- Hiking, traveling, shooting.. Anything outside
What got you into strength sports? Where did your lifting journey start?
- Started running in college and ended up with stress fractures in my feet – lead to weight lifting – bodybuilding — and then strongman
What was your inspiration or mentor in strength sports?- all of the other LW women mostly. Very competitive class and consistent women I have competed with year after year – Leslie Hofheins
Biggest strength numbers:
- Squat – good question ~ 225 front squat
- Bench – 180
- Deadlift – 355 axle 🙂 Long Beach
- Stone 210
- Log – 190
- Axle Clean n Press – 170~ just missed 185 Saturday lol
- Farmers Walk – 180
- Yoke – 500
Any injuries that you had to deal with?
Back injury – annular tears in two discs
Dropped a stone on my foot April 2017 – I recommend avoiding this 🙂
How did you know that strongman was a good fit?
I’m still not sure that it is, but I love it anyway!
How many hours a week would you train before a strongman competition?
Close to 10 probably. General training about 1.5-2 hours plus one long event day.
What do you take on a regular basis to supplement your training?
Food; pre workout w/ creatine. Beta alanine. multi
How many calories do you eat off and on season? How can you afford to eat that much? What is your approach/attitude to food?
I honestly don’t count. I just try not to get hungry and stress about weight cause I’m always way under.
Any funny stories or events that happened in your competition?
I won – ha I was going to hang out and enjoy the beach, I had very little expectations for ASW
Favorite training music?
Country, I know I’m weird
What was the most famous person that you were the most stoked to meet in your competing?
Meeting Big Z at worlds last year was cool. And I finally got to meet Clint Darden in person
If you could do something different in your training (wind the clock back) what would you do?
Oh man… start deadlifting earlier and take more time off
What’s one thing that you want all lifters in the BBB to know or consider before getting into strength sports? (be able to justify your training) Common injuries specific to strongman as well as other health issues that someone might not consider (mental, addictions, etc)?
Little things matter – rest, sleep, food, take care of yourself.
I want to get into strongman…where should I start?
Local gym with equipment and hopefully a local coach – online is helpful, but not the same
What now do you want to do strength wise?
Get healthier, stronger – maybe a powerlifting meet
What’s one thing that you want all lifters in the BBB to know or consider before getting into strength sports?
It takes a long time to get better – consistency
Common injuries specific to strongman as well as other health issues that someone might not consider (mental, addictions, etc)?
It can be a very selfish and lonely sport
What pet peeves do you have when it comes to training in a gym?Techno music